Friday, May 23, 2014

Who Gave the Scarecrow a Gun?


As I was sitting here looking forward to a three day weekend, I noted a post by a friend on Facebook:

Do you wanna build a... Soundproof room so I never have to hear that song again? ‪#‎dadtweet‬ ‪#‎ifihadadaughter‬ ‪#‎frozen‬ ‪#‎frozenisannoying‬

For some reason, that post made me think back to when my girls were very young. At some point, they had discovered the wonders of that classic movie "The Wizard of Oz." Now. I had grown up watching that movie every Thanksgiving and still remember how scared I was of the Wicked Witch of the West.

Well, my girls became so enamored of the film that I would check the VHS tape (if you're not sure what that is,,,look it up!) out from the library for two weeks at a time and we watched it over...and over... and over...and over...and...well, I think you get the picture.

By the time my girls had grown out of their fixation with "The Wizard", I had learned so many things about the movie that I had never known growing up, like a throwaway line by the witch that referenced a dance number that was cut from the final edition - "a little bug"[listen for it when the flying monkeys are dispatched] or the fact that while walking through the forest, the lion carries a bug spray can.

The reason I bring this up in reference to the Facebook post is this...never grow tired of enjoying the things your kids take pleasure in. Listen to the song over and over and over and..well you get the picture! You may learn something you never knew and it will create memories that you will never forget (and never regret!)

http://theparentcue.org/kids-are-funny-terrifying/

No comments:

Post a Comment